Next Generation CANDU?
I direct you to the CNS Bulletin Vol 22 No 3 Oct 2001 for fuller details, but here are a few brief comments (note that these may change with design evolution):
Similarities to present CANDUs:
1) Horiz fuel channels (each consisting of pressure tube + concentric calandria tube
2) Fuel bundles (but going to 43 pin CANFLEX bundle)
3) On-power refuelling
4) Cool, heavy water moderator
1) slightly enriched fuel - 1.6% U-235, 20000 MWd/tonne U burnup
2) light water primary coolant (13 MPa). Less heavy water = cheaper
3) reduced lattice pitch - more compact core (256 channels). Less heavy water moderator.
4) Avg channel power increased, but lower peak bundle power. Peak fuel element ratings 14%
lower than CANDU 6
5) Passive containment cooling
6) Turbine cycle ~ 37% efficiency (presently 29 - 31%)
7) New channel closure
hope this helps
From: Simon Day [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Friday November 02, 2001 12:41 PM
To: cdn-nucl-l (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [cdn-nucl-l] AECL - British Energy joint ppress release on
New Generation CANDU? What exactly is the "new generation" part of
Sounds good so far!
Enquiring minds in the research reactor world want to know.