[Date Prev][Date Next]
Another Chernobyl "event" report from europe :
> From: Radio Prague[SMTP:firstname.lastname@example.org]
> Sent: Sunday April 30, 2000 5:32 AM
> News 30.4.2000
> The environmental group South Bohemian Mothers on Saturday met in Ceske
> Budejovice to mark the 14th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster
> and to protest the planned launching in a few weeks' time of the
> controversial Temelin nuclear power station nearby.
> The protest, watched by invited Austrian and German anti-nuclear
> ended in a happening re-enacting the history of the project which many
> European environmentalists see as extremely hazardous. The Temelin plant
> marries dated Soviet technologies to a sophisticated Western safety
Apparently these South Bohemian Mothers are suffering from tunnel vision.
You certainly won't catch them protesting on the anniversary of
* the blaze that killed 60 people at a discotheque in Gothenburg,
Sweden, in 1998
* October 1996, when four people were killed after a blaze ripped
through the African Safari night spot in Prague, Czech Republic.
* A horrific fire, which claimed 19 lives at Vaitupu High Schoolon in
Tuvalu, in March of this year.
> * In May of last year, 50 teenagers and three police officers were
> trampled to death as a crowd tried to leave an outdoor concert in the city
> of Minsk, Belarus, while about 150 others were injured in the stampede and
> 78 were hospitalized.
* Wednesday, 29 March, 2000, more than 100 people were killed when two
buses collided head-on near the western town of Kericho
* gasoline pipeline accident in Nigeria in 1998 resulted in more than
one thousand killed.
* the August 11, 1979 Machhu dam break disaster which killed some
2000 Indians in and around the industrial city of Morvi in Gujarat State.
* France's 1959 Malpasset dam break which killed 421
* 400 Mexico City residents were killed by a natural gas blast
* Italy's Vaiont dam break which killed 3,000 in 1963
* 125 deaths in West Virginia's Buffalo Creek coal mine tailings dam
break disaster in 1974.
> * An LNG tank exploded in Cleveland OH, killing 135, 10-21-44.
> * A liquefied gas truck exploded in Spain on July 11, 1978 and killed
> * Pipeline explosion in the USSR, June 3, 1989, killed 650.
> * 10-25-60 Windsor, Canada store, 11 dead
> * 1-16-62 gas pipeline, Edson, Canada, 8 dead
> * 3-4-65 gas pipeline, Natchitoches, LA, USA, 17 dead
> * 2-10-73 liquefied gas tank, Staten Island, NY, USA, 40 dead
> * 4-29-95 Gas leak during subway construction, South Korea, 110 dead
....and so-on & so forth.